Tuesday, August 3, 2010

soundtrack to my life

I was sitting writing this on my flight back from Kansas City to Naples a few days ago... wanting to caress each word perfectly, and make sure it was written the way I wanted it... so put your creative cap on... and imagine we are on a flight together... at this very moment...
I am about 15 thousand feet in the air... and climbing.


Literally, at this very moment, on my way back from Kansas City to Naples on an airplane. There is something so intriguing and beautiful with the green sections, neatly separated by streets and the occasional overpass.  I am sitting here sifting through the memories these past few days, with a few old friends, Stacy’s parents, and the time with my parents Tim and Jan, sister Melissa, and brother Christopher.


With my new record coming out, I have approached writing these songs from the perspective of a friend, of a brother, son, a husband, a child of God.  Dreaming of what the world could be.  Dealing with my shortcomings.  Believing there is more to life than we can physically see with our eyes. Trying to somehow mold all those ideas into songs that not only deliver lyrics that explain those ideas, but songs that grab ahold of you.  That talk about my faith.

Music in my life has truly been the one constant other than my family.  It is there when I am creative, when I need to decompress, when I have a burst of energy, when I have those really hard days. Funneling the creative ideas from my brain to the 88 keys of a keyboard or the 6 strings of my beautiful guitar (when I am writing I love to play my Breedlove, a gift from my wife... and probably the second most important thing in my life next to her :) ...  which involves an in-depth, ever evolving writing process for me. Not only is this dynamic process about the flow of one line to the next, but the energy, the emotion, to way a chord moves seamlessly to the next, and a tone that passes so briefly and eloquently that if you aren’t really listening closely you might just miss it.

It’s funny. I love watching the clouds as I fly.  They are never the same.  Today it is pretty sunny, with fluffy cotton ball like clouds. If Stacy was here, I would have an actual cloud name for you, but for this moment cotton ball like clouds will just half to do.  But honestly, it’s moments like this, suspended atop all the hustle and bustle of life as we know it, I find myself being introspective; I  ponder the happenings of my past, present, and certainly my future, which is the basis for the songs that I write.  It is what I would call the soundtrack to my life, the undercurrent of all the things that have happened.  These things all are coming in through my senses... all these things create this soundtrack.

As you listen the first time to my song Soundtrack, I hope you will think about what the soundtrack to your life is.  What moves you, what makes you tick?  How are you called in life to do something beyond just yourself?  This song is about those things;  a great meaning in life than just $5 coffees, glamour, and fancy cars.  We live in a world with so much meaning, so much to discover, and so much more that we can do to make it better.

Let’s listen to that soundtrack... and let’s get to work.

Go to http://www.reverbnation.com/nathanbrooks and download it for free...

No comments:

Post a Comment