Wednesday, April 28, 2010

generation gaps

Tonight I had the pleasure of heading to the Naples Philharmonic for a performance of Maureen  McGovern.  The orchestra was great, Maureen's performance was wonderful, but it was a strange experience on another level.

First, me, being the youngest of the 1500 there in attendance, I really didn't know many of the songs.  Well I knew a Beatles tune.  But it seemed to me that some of the songs she was singing spent a lot of time pondering but never heading anywhere.  Don't get me wrong, it was a concert that was enjoyable.  At what level, at what age, do we move from a different generation?  To me, I just don't connect on any level but musical arrangement, with most of them.

So I digress... I hope that as a songwriter my songs go somewhere.  They take you around a story, a feeling, or an idea, that does something not only in your mind but in your body too.  It moves you to ponder what life is about... and how to go about being a part of that world you want to be.  I guess I just didn't get that tonight.

Maureen McGovern... you can sing.  Just pick a few more songs to bring me along.

No comments:

Post a Comment